NLTCS data have been used by researchers to examine health and behavioral factors associated with changes in chronic disability and mortality. Some of the topics addressed have been:
- Disability Trends in the U.S. Elderly Population
- Severe Cognitive Impairment
- Changes in Medicare and Social Security Expenditures
- Age- and Gender-Specific Effects of Nutrition on Functioning of U.S. Elderly and Oldest-Old
- Methodology for Investigation of the Evolution of Disability and Mortality Processes
For a current listing of peer-reviewed articles, conference presentations and reports using NLTCS data, see "Research."
NLTCS data also are used widely by policy analysts and have been cited frequently in the debate over the extent of a revenue shortfall in the Medicare Trust Fund and when the fund might become insolvent.